Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Happy Anniversary

Happy 7th Anniversary to my repaired brain!    Can't believe it has been 7 years.   So much has changed.   Since I'm currently learning to be positive and not focus on all negatives in my life - we will keep this post cheerful!  No talking about the challenges of life with a brain injury.

One of the wonderful changes my new brain has given me is the freedom to drive.   On a regular basis I stop to give thanks for how much of a blessing it is to have the ability to drive.   Driving is certainly a privilege.  

I was just telling some friends the other day that in the last year I think my memory is getting better.   OK,  I said  "better" - not great!   ( I feel the need to clarify that otherwise I will get some harassment later for that statement.)   ;)    For example,  recently I noticed that I don't have to rely on my phone all the time like I used to.   I can remember meetings/events coming up on my calender.  Unlike the few years after the surgery, when if I didn't look at my phone - I would not remember ANYTHING!   So that is praise to God for that.

I still give thanks for  no major seizures since the brain surgery.   I haven't even had an aura in several months which is very exciting for me.   So to remain seizure free this long after the surgery is nothing short of a miracle since I used to have seizures every day.

Lastly,  in just thinking of the day of the surgery which was 3 months after dad died, it was a year of much change.   I again want to thank my family and friends for all they did for me before, during, and after the surgery/recovery.      Yes, I still remember the day of the surgery and what went on in the OR - something a Neurodiagnostic tech never forgets! :)   It was a long road to recovery and continues to be.    Life is a journey of how to manage living with a brain injury.   I would not be able to do it without the love, patience, and support I get from all of you!!! 

1 comment:

Penny said...

Em, you are an amazing woman! Praise God for how He has helped you to overcome the challenges and see the positives. He will continue to be there for you (us) in the coming years, too.