Sunday, June 28, 2009

Happy Anniversary??

Wow! Five years ago today was my brain surgery. Not sure if that means Happy Anniversary or Happy Birthday. :) It could be a birthday since my brain was repaired and given new life. Anniversary seems more fitting, because I could say I'm married to this new brain. Whether I like it or not,it's attached to my head! This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "for better or for worse"! :) One thing can be said, I will never regret having the surgery done.

I remember more about the day than I thought I would. I was awake for most of the surgery. The worst was the drilling that went on for hours. It was a headache in the making. :) My favorite part of the surgery was when they caused me to have a focal motor seizure. As a Neurodiagnostic Tech by trade, I found this absolutely fascinating. My seizures were always more sensory, and so having a focal motor sz in my face was quite an educational experience. (Sorry, I'm a little sick.) :)

My family would be able to recall more things about the day. Of course, they have a different opinion on how it went. It was an emotional day for all of them. I realized years later how hard it was for some of them. That day was the first time most of my family had been in a hospital ICU unit since dad had passed away 3 months before. I realized that no amount of preparing them for what they would see when I came out of surgery would be enough. I love my family and friends for walking through it with me. I will be forever grateful.

How have the last five years been? A journey. No other word to describe it. I stand in awe to this day that I haven't had any major seizures. An amazing miracle! :) Yet, I'm recognizing that my decision to have the surgery would come with many consequences. Some of those consequences I would never had been prepared for. I never understood what my traumatic brain injury patients go through, until I walked in their shoes. What an eye-opening journey it has been.

This is what you call a new but very permanent relationship. It has been a fast five years so I still consider it "new", especially when it doesn't "behave" the way I want. :) It's my new brain no matter if I like it or not. I'm learning to make the best of it, and to cheer all the victories along the way.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Hey Ema!

Happy 5 year Anniversary! You have done so well and are so amazing. Your attitude, drive, and determination to live and enjoy life is just amazing.

I will never forget the hours spent in the waiting room and spending that week in Iowa City with you. You handled your recovery with such calmness and grace. It was truly remarkable to watch and even more remarkable to think back on.

I know things are not the same as they use to be for you but you just keep going, even pushing yourself to do challenging things (like going back to school) when it would be much easier to just not try.

We are so thankful for you and the success of the brain surgery. (Even if it did put Streitmatter Taxi Service out of business. :))

Love you,

Mark, Sara and kids

Sara said...

aunt Ema

Happy 5 year Anniversary. I can't wait to see you again.I miss seeing you.1 more day till Nathan's birthday. Isaiah caught a butterfly yesterday.

Shauna

Mouseymom said...

a good reminder to me to accept life's challenges and to live in thankfulness! So glad that there have been no seizures!

Anonymous said...

Hey Em! Great post and congrats on your Annibirthday. It was so great to be with you last weekend. I referred to you as Emy today and Jonah said..."no that's Ema!" Make me laugh.

Penny